Number in attendance: 25
Chap Fr John Anderson Present
GK Tim Bailey Present
Adv Jared Gorka Present
DGK Lee Brown Present
Warden John Linneman Absent
Chanc Dennis Mitchell Absent
In Guard Ed Zimmerman Present
Recorder Larry Gee Present
Out Guard John Zipperer Absent
Fin Secr Jeff Williams Present
Trust 3rd Yr Phillip Mills Present
Treas Doug Mills Present
Trust 2nd Yr Troy Schmidt Present
Trust 1st Yr Al Linden Present
Approval of Minutes from August Meeting: Doug/Troy Approved.
National Eucharist Congress is in Indianapolis, IN. in July 2024. Our Bishop is leading a pilgrimage from our diocese with chartering a bus, hotels, etc. I encourage you to think about attending. Sign up deadline is in December. Father has been appointed by the Bishop as an official Chaplin to attend. All the bishops and cardinals (of the church) will be attending. As a Knight to attend, the Knights of Columbus will be very visible. Let’s renew ourselves in the Eucharist.
Grand Knight Report:
Tim passed around a Thank You note from the Alzheimer’s Association.
The Newsletter discusses much of the unrest in the world. On the reverse side of Knights of Columbus flyer, it highlights a video developed by the Knights of Columbus: Mother Theresa - No Greater Love. You can stream on electronic devices. Tim thought it was inspirational and recommended the group to view it.
Exemplification on Sunday, Nov 5. - day after Columbus Day Award Dinner. If you think of people to invite, please do so.
Punt, Pass, & Kick contest: Oct 14 9:30 AM Citizen’s Field
Blood Drive: Oct 19 and Dec 19
IC Fall Festival: Oct 14 Meal at KC hall, silent auction, music, marathon in the AM
Columbus Day dinner: Sat, Nov 4 Great meal
Menu choices for Columbus Day dinner: Two meat options
Exemplification: Sunday, Nov 5th at St. Pat’s
Just a reminder from Father John: there is a baptism at St. Pat’s on Nov 5 right after mass.
4th Degree: Medford Oct 21st
5th Sunday: Dec 31, 2023
Dec 15 Christmas Party
4th degree next Tuesday - week from tonight
Insurance Report: Shawn not able to attend
District Deputy Report:
(Phillip Mills reporting for Mark)
Charity raffle rollout: Giving away $50,000 or a 2024 Ford Ranger and a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
Awards for outstanding appreciation:
Robert M Condon 75 years of faithful service to church council, community youth, & family for joining our council.
Dennis Hurtis 50-year member
Rev Father Bradley
Gracie Cole: won state free throw contest.
Gracelyn Scribner : 2nd in state free throw contest.
District Deputy Report Continued:
Oct talking points:
- As Knights, we should be first in faith and charity – by evangelization and being leaders in church and community.
- Faith leads to charity and the witness to charity is faith. One way to do this is through the core initiative. Core is not a program but an incentive. Not intended to replace any programs, but to add to programs for men to get further involved. Prayer, rosary, adoration, bible study groups are all examples. The purpose of core is to inspire men to return closer to faith.
- Each year in December, we have given gas cards and larger gifts to seminarians. A second collection in a weekend is possible. Also, a table at the back of church for people to leave donations after mass.
- Somerset Knights of Columbus is leading a program to purchase an ultrasound machine. State is helping to cover costs.
The 2023 donation budget was published after it was tabled at the last meeting. The question was called. Voting resulted in the 2023 donation budget being approved.
Bills not paid:
- Bibles for Catholic Formation.
- Ed is working with a person that will repair (weld) the railings on the front steps. An estimate will be submitted to the Knights. Work to be done during winter – his free time.
- Equipment for Punt, Pass, & Kick
Question came up as to the procedure to submit an expense item greater than $500: present to officers at officer’s meeting while talking with Tim Bailey beforehand.
Just a reminder: There is a Baptism at St. Pat’s in Erin on Nov 5 after mass.
Good of the Order
Still looking for lecturer
Family of the Month: Jim and Inez Utecht
Night of the month: Shawn Fox
Louis D. is moving to MN near family and assisted living.
Pat Cernohous out of hospital and in Deerfield for transition.
Received a Thank You note from Elizabeth Furgeson and Laura Griffen-Boyle for the Knight’s Donation to the National Down Syndrome. Marc reported that Liz, at 70 years old, was the showcase during the National Event for Down Syndrome held in Chicago (from last month’s minutes: Mark’s wife’s sister is in a wheelchair and is 70 yrs young. The National Association will be honoring the sister at a major fundraising event in Chicago as she is an inspiration at that age). Marc did report that Liz was second highest fund raiser at the event.
Summary from Tim: Upcoming weekend a big weekend: Marathon and Fall Festival on Saturday and St. Pat’s Dinner and activities on Sunday. These are activities we can all support.
Winner of Pot of Gold: Scott Anderson - absent
Winner of Jackpot: Jared Gorka